Information on the City and County of Freising

Text and pictures are taken from brochures of the Freising County public affairs office and the Freising City tourist information center.

Geography

Freising is situated at 448 m above sealevel, 1133 eastern longitude and 4824 northern latitude. The county area covers 799,76 sqkm, the city itself extend over 90 sqkm.

Population

In Freising county were living on the 31st of december 1992 135.460 and in the city itself 38.928 inhabitants.

Economy

50.969 ha, that is about 64% of the county area, had been agriculturally cultivated in the year 1992 by 2.732 farmers. The livestock counted for 57.430 head of cattle, with 16.781 cows, 59.235 swines, 2.849 sheeps, 1.612 horses and ponies, and 55.964 chicken.
In altogether industrial businesses with 20 or more employees, 12.279 employees earned their, 4.905 of those as employees and 7.374 as workers (Please - note that there is a difference!)
Important industries are the breweries, including the worlds oldest brewery dating from 1040 a.c., brewing equipment, tractors, book printing and electronics.

Roads and Vehicles

The Freising county has 50 km of freeways, the so called Bundesautobahnen, (1.1.93), 85 km of major highways (1.1.90), 134 km state owned roads (1.1.90), 261 km county owned roads (1.1.76) and 1.159 km minor roads, the so called Gemindeverbindungstrassen, 415 km consisting of Village roads (1.1.76).
On the 4th of June 1993 there had beeen registrated in Freising county area 104.009 vehicles in total, thereof 4.498 motorbikes, 64.779 cars and vans, 130 busses, 3.499 trucks and 1 electrically driven vehicle.

Nature and landscape conservation

On May 1st 1993 the nature and landscape conservation area in the Freising county summed up to a total of 22.279 ha, with 889 ha of nature and 21.490 ha of landscape conservation areas.
Belonging to the nature conservation area are the Echinger Lohe with 24 ha, the Garchinger Heide with 27 ha, the bird sanctuary Mittlere Isarstauseen with 190 ha, the Isar flats between Hangenham and Moosburg with 581 ha, the Amper flats together with the waters at Palzing with 66 ha and the old gravelpit at Vötting at the Feldfahrt with 1,5 ha.
To the landscape conservation area belong the Amper flats in the Freising county with 9.988 ha, the geological formation called the Tertiäre Hügelrand with 470 ha, the Freising moss/Echinger Gfild with 5.750 ha, the Isar valley with 4.766 ha and the moss area south of Hallbergmoos with 516 ha.

History

Freising is one of the oldest cities of upper bavaria, to be exact between Regensburg and Bozen. Already around 2000 b.c. there had been first settlements on the Domberg, monks mountain. The real history of Freising starts with the fortress of the dukes of the Agilolfinger tribe around 700 a.c.. The fortress Frigisinga did first show up 744 in a donation document, written down in the book of traditions by the bishops public notary called Cozroh.
Due to the activities of the bishop Korbinian around 720 a.c. and his successor Bonifatius, Freising became a bishopric in 739 a.c. and for more than a millenium spiritual and secular center of elder bavaria, the mons doctus.
Bishop Arbeo (764-783) created the school at the cathedral and the library, in the year 903 the church at the cathedral burned down and in 909 the city was sacked by the hungarians.
The glory days of the city date to the era of bishop Otto I. (1138-1158), an uncle of Friedrich Barbarrosa and a famous historian. In the year 1159 Freising was hit by a terrible fire, the cathedral was then rebuild until 1205. Around 1440 the parish of St. Georg received a gothic church and 250 years later this church got a marvellous baroque style tower. During the reign of bishop Veit Adam (1696-1727) the inner part of the cathedral became baroquish. In 1646 and 1769 the city was pillaged.
A new era of spiritual life of the bishopric Freising started under princebishop (german: Fürstbischof) Johann Franz Eckher (1696-1727) with the erection of the university and a hospital, as well as by the baroque style furnishing of the cathedral by the Asam brothers 1723-24.
The secularisation in 1803 brought an end to the secular reign of the bishop by the abolishment of the religious foundation, which since the 13th century had been a territory directly connected to the empire, with foreign possesions in austria and courtmarks in bavaria.
The bishopric Freising was raised to the archbishopric of Munich and Freising, the bishops seat moved to Munich in 1821 and since 1972 Freising is seat of a regional bishop.
The churches of St. Andreas, St. Veit and the abbeys of Weihenstephan and Neustift perished to secularisation. In 1142 the monastery of the Prämonstatenser Neustift was founded and in the 18th century Freising received a rococo church.
In Weihenstephan had been a small chapell since the times of Korbinian and around 1020 a.c.the benedictine monqs settled there.
Nowadays there is the world famous center for education and research of the Technical University of Munich, with the faculty for agriculture and horticulture, the faculty for brewing, food processing and milksciences, the technical highschool and the bavarian state institution for soil and plant cultivation. Since 1992 there is a third university, the Ludwig Maximilians University, with the faculty for forestry, in Weihenstephan.
Since Freising lost its rank as a residential town, it became educational and cultural center with the cardinal Döpfner house, serving as education center for the archbishopric, the bishopric museum, the cathedral and the city library, as well as the local history museum and the Asam museum.
In 1862 Freising received the right to be independent from the county of Freising, in 1905 Neustift and in 1937 Vötting together with Weihenstephan became part of the town. In 1972 Freising became Greater Administrative City, followed by the acquisition of Haindlfing, Itzling, Sünzhausen as well as Tüntenhausen, and in 1978 Attaching and Pulling, to be part of the town area.

Sightseeing



The statue of the Gstanzl-singer Roider Jackl, whose ironical expression:
"I should better stop singing, otherwise they will raise a memorial for me where the water is coming out" posthum gave it exactly to him. You find this fountain at the corner of the Bahnhofsstrasse, Obere Hauptstrasse.

The emblem of the town of Freising really is the cathedral of St. Mary and St. Korbinian, the first brickstone building north of the alps since the ancient world. After the romans had left, this technique had been forgotten. The romanic churchbuilding was consecrated in 1205, after its predecessor was destroyed by fire in 1159. At the end of the middle ages, the bishops of Freising reached their goal to hire the best bavarian master builders, like Jörg von Halsbach, the builder of the Munich Frauenkirche, who equipped the cathedral and the church of Benediktus with a gothic vaulting. The sculptor Erasmus Grasser created the touching group of mourners, which is placed in the east apse of the northern aisle.
The two most prominent representatives of the bavarian late baroque, Cosmas Damian and Egid Quirin Asam created the fresco and the stucco artwork, while Francois de Cuvillies and Johann Baptist Zimmermann, as most important representatives of southern german rococo, had also been creative in Freising; the first did the stucco ceiling in the baroque hall of the cathedrals library, the latter recreated the late gothic cloister in 1716. This cloister with its numerous tombstones from the 14th to the 18th century is the biggest lapidarium, stone relics collection, in bavaria.
The beginning of the cathedrals library date back to the year 739, when the bishop of that time Ermbert founded a monastery, in whose library in the time of bishop Arbeo the Abrogans was created. This dictionary of the Old High German language is believed to be the oldest book in german language. During the period of ministry by bishop Erchanbert (836-854), the Petrus hymn was created, the first known hymn in german language.

One of the most interesting stone sculptures of the high middleages in europe is the pillar of beasts, to be found in the crypt with the tomb of the bishoprics patron St. Korbininan, more exactly:
"down in the cellar", as to original commentary of Herbert Maier, DVS.

In the heart of Freising there is the Marienplatz, with the pillar of Mary, donated by the princebishop Albrecht Sigismund of Wittelsbach in 1674, with the patron saints of Freising Korbinian, Sigismund, Franz Xaver and Franz of Assisi at the feet of the queen of heaven.

The Weihenstephan mountain, home of the Weihenstephan brewery, together with the cathedral mountain, is the germing cell for the city of Freising. In a donation document of king Heinrich II. in 1003, the name Wihanstephane shows up for the first time.

Also worthwhile visiting is the former Hofgarten on top of the Weihenstephan mountain.

This and the herbaceous plants sighting garden on the opposite terrain, are beeing taken care of by the experimental department for horticulture. The herbaceous plants sighting garden with its rich flora is considered as the best public garden of its kind in germany.

At the end of your sightseeing tour through Freising you sure will say, like the renowned travelbook writer H.W. Riehl did so, who wrote in 1866:
"Who hasn't seen Freising, doesn't know Older Bavaria"


But Freising also offers something for the gregariousness seeking, as for example in the beergarden of the Bräustüberl,

the Waldwirtschaft Plantage

or on one of the numerous festivities, like a consecration of a firefighters banner.

You can plan for a tour into the Hallertau, the worlds greatest hops growing area starting nearby Freising.

Last updated by:
Becker 05/2000